Sunday, August 07, 2005

The Problem with Prose

Now lets finally get down to the topic I had set out to talk about last time and lost sight of on the way. I apologise. Got caught up, lost track.
So what be the question?! The question be’th, Why verse? I ask, why not!

Let’s start from the very beginning.

When I discovered this absolutely fascinating concept of blogging, I set out on a expedition of the blog world; researched its origin, the meaning of the word itself, its etymology, etc etc. Read a lot of blogs in the in the process. Something struck me quite stark; The blog world is this vast expanse of unbridled, unregulated expression. Frankly because the free spirit, I like to believe, I am, it was this very quality about blogging that appealed to me. But there’s a flipside to this laawarisness: mediocrity. There’re innumerable blogs out there where people just whine endlessly about how the high point of their day was when they got that cup of coffee from the office vending machine and some still brighter souls don’t even bother to put in original work. They copy-paste articles from the net, defeating the very purpose of a blog. Ergo, I vowed, never to whine …on a blog at least. My blog was going to be different.

Now how does one go about being different? My firm belief is; by being themselves. What is me? Me is lazy. Too lazy to read. The thought of wading through those never ending verbose blogs always harrows me. My blog had to be something I’d like to read myself too, and of course write, equally lazy about writing ( I know it doesn’t look like it now, but it's true)
In poetry what I'm able to say in four words, I can’t ever expres through prose even in a thousand words. In poetry each word’s more potent and ponderous than the other. Poetry understands the value of and respects every written letter; never indulging in the frivolity of prose. And the more dripping with meaning a phrase is, the more number of interpretations it spawns. I’ve always been an ardent believer of Derrida’s philosophy, at least have been since my intoduction to him, which was only after his sad demise and I stumbled upon his obituary. His legacy: The theory of deconstruction! Ain’t no theory like it even in the farthest reaches of the universe. To quote from that article:
theory of deconstruction — the re-reading or breaking down of a text to show the multiple meanings at work within language. Focussing mainly on language, he contends that the traditional or metaphysical reading of a text makes a number of false assumptions — that language is capable of expressing constant and unchanging ideas, that the author of a text is the only source of its meaning and that in the hierarchy of language, writing is secondary to speech.” Nothing subscribes to this philosophy like poetry.

So when insomnia takes over me on some breezy moonless night, I'll give into that higher power and get inspired.Grab a pen and scramble for paper. It is a spontaneous overflow of emotion that we put in words.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

baap re baap -- kya dhinchyaak likhti hai re tu !! ... i think i'll certainly have to reread the blog to completely comprehend the authoress' sublime thoughts.:-)

NN said...

*Takes a Bow*

Stop, I'm blushing! lol
These shots of ego boosting go straight to the head...i might turn up drunk for class.

Fanaah said...

At the end of your blog-I did exactly what the 5th line said...n then maybe im just not a morning person.Some insomnic breezy night (irrespective of what moon cycle it is) i promise to re-read our Derrida-incarnated's blog again.

NN said...

Derrida is prolly twitching in his grave right now. how u'll insult him like that! :D

Thanks for reading. I want one detailed feedback session tonight :D

wiseorotherwise said...

Aaahaan!! So, Nani is BLOGGING!! Something which I recently started!Awesome, I say ;)

Really good BLOG :) WTG :)

Suderman said...

Yay!!
:D

Anonymous said...

*three billion chummas*
--Natkhat nana...

Nana who?
na na na na na re na re na re... :D

Venkatesh Sridhar said...

i was too lazy to read the whole thing :P ... suffer from the same disease ...

Venkatesh Sridhar said...

on a more serious note ... a good blog . But i disagree with you when you say no1 should whine on their blogs .... well blogs are basically an online journal/diary, so where else wud ppl whine ... but if all they do is whine ... then yes u hav a point ... but wen they a pt .. then ur point stands nullified...

NN said...

@suderman: you hated it! :o

NN said...

@venky:
Dude never said that!!! People can crib all they want. i just said that i wasn't going to indulge in that luxury.
Peace.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the values of verse - very well put... in prose. :p

NN said...

Hey Aran, Welcome Back :).. good to see you again. Glad you liked this one :)

NN said...

@Aran Well i'm kind of like 'apne per peh kulhadi' u seemed to like my prose better than my poetry :p

Anonymous said...

I did? Not really... though you're good with both. I kind of liked your poetry. You were the one of the people worth reading back there. :)

Anonymous said...

Arrey baap!! soo long why u'll jaa jaa ke write re? wait, ll keep tht also in the to do list :D but it looks awesome ok..will read up as soon..until then little red riding hood tralalalalalaaaa :D
*borrows the thumbs of person sitting next to her and flashes **four thumbs up** * :D

Anonymous said...

heheh..this is becoming a conversation. And although this might look like a count increasing i don't want to look like i don't know how to take a compliment.
Thank you for that *sheepish smile*

wiseorotherwise said...

NN! It's about time you updated your BLOG! :-W

Anonymous said...

@wise: On it boss. Reconfigured comp. lost password.

@everybody: Typo in pevious comment - add 'tactic' at appropriate place in sentence.