Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Currently hearing impaired

It was perfect. The sky had started to cloud over. The zephyr was blowing cool flailing the rockers’ curls. The crescent moon had turned a turbid red.It was an omen. The night errupted and the stars burned when the musicians began to work their magic. The guitarist strummed the chords like they were my veins. The drummer had my heart and he decided how it beat. And as the rhythm pulsated through my body, I knew, I was alive.

Four bands – Void, After Death, DemClones and Pin drop Violence played at an engineering college at hyd. I got passes actually I got invited coz my li’l sis’ seeing one of the lead guitarists :D. So here’s a little eyewitness commentary:

First of me:
I wore a stark white formal shirt, to make a statement of course!!! Yes I know you’re supposed to wear black t-shirts with bleeding red print on them but who wants to be part of the crowd! Ok the real deal is I was actually wearing an ultra sexy maroon top that might not have passed the parents censor so the white shirt was for undercover operations only. However, when I got there I felt like too much of an adult and my chaperoning consciousness kinda took over. Yes, so I was wearing the stark white shirt through out the show. Next embarrassing thing – 19 yr old kid asks me if this is my first rock concert. I would’ve mentioned the Bryan Adam’s if I wasn’t absolutely certain of the outcast look I’d receive after that. So just quietly said yes and settled for zero instead of negative points.

Void –
That band that we were particularly interested in...ahem ahem, was awesome. Except that their lead singer had a bit of the case of em’ stage frights. They covered St. Anger by Metallica, Seven Nation Army by White stripes, Rape me by Nirvana and Something by hatebreed. Oh and they also slipped in a composition of their own. Although using the adjective ‘cute’ would be considered opprobrious for this genre of musicians. I think their vocalist did enough damage to the image when he profusely thanked every one for letting them play.
My advice – lose the singer.

After Death –
Hard core death metal – Sepultura, Rammtien the works. Their drummer – Yeah! He was mind blowing!!! Too bad the drums are arranged so you way back into the background that the drummer’s face is obscured. The singer modulated his voice too much to make it sound gruff. He was too skinny to carry it off. Also he kept feeling himself...which actually looked like he wasn’t enjoying doing that and it took a lot of effort to do on stage. There were times when the band just stood there on stage - posing ...I think they were really posing for photographs. I mean seriously posing!
My advice: Drummer you deserve more, get my number :D. Band- get another attitude.

Demclones –
We would’ve mistaken them for biotech students for the double helix in their logo. The more soulful and melodious of the bands started of with a rendition of Limpbizkit’s “I know why you want to hate me” and gradually descended the tempo with U2s Vertigo and coldplay’s yellow, and finally slipped in some of their own soft compositions. This was by far the most appreciated of the bands. The guitarist was phenomenally innovative and deft. I suspect he could even make the guitar enunciate whole English words or even sentences if he wanted to. He had that kind of control over the strings.
Verdict: soulful.

Pin Drop Violence –
Or PDV as they were being referred to fondly, turned up doped to the ‘T’. The guitarist got a little frustrated by the bad feed back system put his guitar down in the middle of the song and just strut off stage. Fame I tell you is a drug that goes straight to the head. Didn’t see them perform, no verdict.

On the whole the flying speakers were out of this world! I got to do a little head banging myself. There were moshpits but I said No thank you. Next time, would actually like to get to a concert with friends instead of my sister, so I don’t feel obligated to behave like a responsible adult!

9 comments:

KAD said...

Responsible adult?? I think you would want to rework on that. Send in your siblings to us and we will tell them more about you; your 1 hr packing, never catching the bus on time, playing in the class, missing god knows how many quizzes, not once paying attention in class....My my the list is endless!!

Fanaah said...

It reminds me of the time KV had a rock festival-there were all the firangs scantily dressed, multi-coloured hair, and there was me-in a formal blazer.
Sigh makes me think...MBA's gotten in our blood hahha

Overall verdict on the show : Im Jealous

Unknown said...

I have to comment!

1. Superbly written foreword.

2. Havent heard of Void. It must
have risen to fame post my engg days.

3. About the drummer .. thats exactly what great drummers want!! They usually have long hair which completely covers their visage. Moreover they surround themselves with the drums and cymbals, so only the deafening roar comes out, not its source. I have always wanted to be a drummer :-)

4. I hav seen PDV perform twice. My devil! They really are the loudest around and bang their heads ferociously obviously under the influence of weed and ilk.

5. I lov moshpits !! not necessarily what they do there:-)

NN said...

@kanishka: I wasn;t the one screaming expletives in the middle of the B-law class on losing a game of counterstrike :p

@purnima: hehehe :D

@666: yes, i did think of you at the concert..it was surely you're type of thing.
1. Thank you :). i particularly like the 'drummer' sentence.
2. Void is just a local engg coll band that got to do the opening. 19+ Kids.
3. Really? i didnt know that.
4. yes like i said ..they went overboard with the pot this time.
5. Whatelse could u like them for?

Aran said...

Ah... echoing 666's 1.

Saying that made me feel like a shady character in a spy movie. ;)

KP said...

hey cmon

PDV's gotta be the most talentless
band on the scene

at least they suck at the orignals
they have an orignal thats named
Gutterment elect the bastard
and the lyrics sound like they have been written by some retarded boy from 2nd standard.

Music's all right.
Nothing really orignal

Here's a new name for them
Skin Burp Flatulence

Them Clones really are good
Cant believe they did not play
pearl jam and alice in chains
they do play a lot of that kinda stuff

good to know you're getting to watch a lot of indian underground stuff
keep rocking
and keep on head banging

Braveheart said...

Very lovely description in 'About Me' section!

-- Akshaya

Anonymous said...

No updates since long ... is that an indication of state of network coverage in india .. or ... usual corporate rat race ..

NN said...

Nice to know i'm being missed.