Monday, May 08, 2006

What I hate about blogging! (Part II)

Ok this is what I’d wanted to say the last time I wrote about it but knowing me, I had to go off on a tangent.
Something about the blog world had been pissing me off lately and I couldn’t lay a finger on it. At first I got irritated that a friend brought up something serious I’d written in one of the posts as a joke at a party, I let it pass as her naivety. Then some blogs I visited regularly disappeared. Man, this sooo ticked me off!
I have this new friend who is an aspiring writer. Actually according to me he’s already there. He said to me, “I write. I love to write. I write stories. I don’t blog because I think they’re irresponsible”. It hit me. Yes, that’s exactly it! Blogs are irresponsible.
I blog, which means I write blogs and I read blogs. Lots of people do that. Blogs for very obvious reasons have become a place for some very personal expression. So when you interact with people at that level of intimacy you kind of end up getting attached to them or at least their blogs. Nothing can be more disturbing than clicking on that oh so familiar link one fine day and being rudely told off that the blog cannot be found. Obviously the owner’s deleted it. Obviously they felt no responsibility towards the readers whatsoever. Obviously it is your fault for being there in the first place - nobody invited you.
The blogs most prone to this kind of need for desertion of its audience I have realised are anonymous blogs. Nah, actually that’s a myth. Any blog can disappear any moment, just like that, without any prior notice.
So what is this whole blogging relationship about? There’s no trust factor. No accountability. So this can’t be called a friendship. Maybe there is absolute honesty. Maybe there are true mental connections being forged here. But that’s so ephemeral. What do you do with it? I’d say it’s like pure gold – very desirable but useless.
I’m going to continue blogging, despite this. I haven’t figured out why yet, perhaps that’s the stuff’t of another post. I’m certainly not going to do so under the cloak of anonymity like a coward. I shall bare my soul unabashedly and boldly suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous friendships.

PS: Its not fair that you know where I live, but the only way I can talk to you is by putting up a notice outside my door.

19 comments:

william, the bloody said...

hmmm.. blogging anonymously does help in avoiding situations like the incident at the party.


And maybe blogs are like people. They leave. It doesn't matter how well you know them or how close you are. They leave. we move on.. to the next one

NN said...

Good point. Never thought of that

Unknown said...

What i love about blogging!

Ctrl A + Ctrl C + Ctrl V

What I hate about blogging!

Fanaah said...

Wow that was deep, never thought about it. Yes it would disturb me hell of a lot too if a blog I visit regularly disappeared.
But then like lfie im sure I would get addicted to another blog.

That whats I love about blogging-theres so many undiscovered, and everyones invited :)

Pranay said...

nice one. I can't say I've actually gone through something like you but yes that would feel bad. But not as bad as(and here starts my sob story...)when you chat with someone for a long time, exchanged pics, phone nos even felt so close and the person just dissappears without a reason. You never see them online again. It hurts.
Ok comin back... There are just too many blogs out there and you one of the exciting things about blogging is finding out new ones althouhg having blogs you frequent is fun. So just keep on searching new ones, I promise you'd not be dissapointed.
P.S. even I am looking for newer chat friends :-)

Aran said...

But I thought you already bared your soul here. No? Maybe I see you differently... *shrug* Glad you're not going to go away. :)

KAD said...

ok, lemme recollect when was the last time I saw a blog vanish...was long long ago and for no fault of the owner. Rediff just buckled one day and his blog got wiped out. Now how is that..imagine you click on your own blog to only see a page not found message!! Scary huh?? Can we make a PST file for our blogs and take regular backups??

NN said...

@666: Can't be bothered. Only concern is CTRL+A+C+V just adds to the rudundancy hence the muddledness of the the internet.

@fanaah: Blogsphere, the final frontier.

@Pranay: awww... this blog's brought up more issues than i'd intended!

@aran: Oops correction: "will continue to bare my soul" :)
Aw Dahlin', i'll always be here for you :).

Kanishka: Ayiyah! very scary thought!!! i need a way to take backups!!! This can be an issue of paranoia!!! i have all my blogs but what abt the comments!!! they're as much a part of the literature here ..if i can call it that! I hate u Kannu! [:D]

KAD said...

You hate me?? Hrmmmppphhh!!! So much for good advice!! :P

NN said...

See Kannu when i say i hate you, i'm actually appreciating you in the "Mallika I hate you" kinda way :D.
But seriously dude you've freaked me out! How do i take a back up?
See one form of back up for the comments i already do is have all of then delivered to my mailbox. But that wont eaxclty be a very efficient or convinient source to use for restore in the event of a crash. Any ideas or suggestions?

KAD said...

i have an idea..use a website grabber like grab-a-site to grab the entire blog. that ways you will get everything, including the comments.

Anonymous said...

true expression by definition should not depend on who is actually listening to you .. isnt it ? ..

Anonymous said...

:)
if i could, i would eat the words spoken yesterday. but i cannot, so i ll just recognise the Hamlet quote and feel a part of the blogsphere ;).
btw, babe..u got kicked right between the eyes :D *hehe*

Anonymous said...

just notcied this ... "Not anymore"... "Another one bites the dust "

.. just trying to fathom what are those for ..

NN said...

@Kanishka: Haan now i should ask how that is done? :D

@lost: true. it's easy from behind the curtain. We're all tigers in the dark, aren't we?

@Womandrake: Kya hai ki. there is one thing you can do. drown out all that you said in more words :D

btw, touche.

NN said...

@lost: hehehe

Anonymous said...

enuough .. i am thoroughly infuriated .. !

wheres that password .. wheres that link .. gonna tell the world who it is !

phew .. was on the brink of spilling it all .. :)

TP said...

.. this one dedicated to you .. :)

~lost

anita said...

hey isn't it the same with people even they vanish...my best friend killed himsleves one fine morning without a clue to why he did it..but such is life!! nuthing ever certain